Tuesday, September 6, 2011

PB&J Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ok, I'm finally going to do it! I'm going to attempt an actual tutorial. I decided it was about time to make one and I figured I should start off with something easy, like cookies. The next one I'll attempt will probably be a skirt or dress for Chloe, but since I don't really know what I'm doing when I'm sewing and just make it up as I go and cross my fingers it turns out, I haven't tried to tackle a tutorial yet. But I will. Sometime... Soon? Hopefully. :) Anyways, enough babbling about future things to come. Let's focus on this:


I know it doesn't really seem like anything special, and it might not be except to me, but I'm really excited about this cookie. Why, you might ask? Well, not only is this my first tutorial but this is my first cookie recipe I've made on my own. While I have made up a few of my own recipes for other things in the past, when it comes to baking I normally find a recipe that looks good and then enhance it here and there with my own tastes and preferences. But this is my first cookie recipe I've masterminded. I was actually going for a flavor profile that I wanted to try and instead inspiration hit and I came up with these cookies instead. If anyone has ever had one of my cupcakes, you would know that I always have a filling in them. These cookies stay true to my cupcakes.

First, I'll start with the list of ingredients. You will need:

1/2 c shortening
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c brown sugar, packed
3/4 c white sugar
1 1/4 c peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 c flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c mini chocolate chips (regular chocolate chips work fine as well)
1 c jam

Once you've assembled all of your ingredients, preheat your oven to 350.

In a large bowl, cream together shortening, butter, sugars, and peanut butter until smooth.


 Add vanilla and continue to beat.

Beat in eggs, one at a time until well blended.


In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

Stir into the creamed mix until its completely incorporated.


Stir in chocolate chips.


Refrigerate for about an hour. Then take about 2 tsp of dough and roll them into balls. Place on cookie sheet about 1-2 inches apart. Press thumb print into middle of dough ball.

Add 1/2 - 1 tsp (depending on your preference) your choice of jam into thumb print

Take another 1 1/2 tsp of dough and press flat and cover dough ball and jam so no jam is visible.



Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

This is an optional thing if you want do it, these cookies are good with or without the extra chocolate. Melt chocolate on low heat while you wait for your cookies to bake and use a fork to drizzle it on top of your cookies.

Wait to cool for 10 minutes, pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!

This recipe makes between 3-4 dozen cookies.

Feel free to leave comments on any variations or suggestions you may have on the cookie too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment